| ||Policy Statements.. |
The statements below may all be considered broad objectives that address different sustainable food issues. Each of these can be translated into a range of targets that you can then make plans to achieve.
We aim to provide food:
Other objectives may include:
- that is nutritious, fresh, and reflective of local diversity
- as unprocessed and unadulterated as possible
- not from sources that utilize excessive antibiotics, bovine growth hormones, irradiation, or transgenic modification of organisms
- from regionally grown or processed sources to the maximum extent possible
- produced or distributed by local farmers co-operatives
- locally produced
- certified organic to the maximum extent possible
- grown, produced and packaged in a manner beneficial to the environment
- not grown, produced and packaged in a manner detrimental to the environment
- free from genetic modification
- not produced or distributed by the exploitation of workers
- We aim to foster a sustainable food system based on sustainable regional agriculture that fosters the local economy and assures all our customers have access to healthy & affordable food.
- We will utilize a preventive approach to nutrition-related health problems.
- We will support regional small scale, sustainable agriculture that is environmentally sound, economically viable, socially responsible, and non-exploitative.
- We aim to strengthen economic and social links between urban consumers and regional small-scale farms.
- We aim to use all resources, including water and energy, as efficiently as possible and to dispose of our wastes in ways which minimise the impacts upon the environment
- We will actively co-operate with food suppliers and other sectors on nutrition and sustainable food system issues.